Stop Overdose Deaths & End the Opioid Crisis. Donate on Facebook & Double Your Impact.
December 3, 2019
Today is Giving Tuesday, a global day dedicated to re-focusing attention and resources on making a lasting impact. We encourage you to give today, to PHI, or to other organizations making a difference. Donate to PHI here.
What if someone who was using opioids could walk into any hospital—any time, anywhere, for any reason—and start receiving treatment and help immediately?
That's starting to happen right now in California, as just a part of the work of our California Bridge and Opioid Safety Network. Research shows it's one of the most important ways to begin saving lives.
Can you support PHI and help to improve access to life-saving treatment, prevent new addictions, and stop overdose deaths? 130 people are dying every day in the U.S. as a result of opioid overdose. For today only, donate on Facebook and have your donation doubled by a generous matching grant.
With your support, PHI can:
- Help more hospitals initiate treatment, on the spot. Patients suffering from substance use disorder routinely present to ERs and hospitals in need of medical care. And now, thanks to PHI's California Bridge program, their treatment can begin there, too. With PHI's support, CA Bridge expanded its model to over 50 California hospitals and ERs through a federal grant, bringing its accelerated training program to healthcare providers and increasing access to 24/7 medication for addiction treatment (MAT). Help us bring this lifesaving treatment to more locations.
- Share what works. All of us—public health practitioners, doctors, pharmacists, parents, teachers, advocates, mental health providers, law enforcement, and others—have a role to play in combating this crisis. That's why earlier this year, PHI held our first-ever National Opioid Leadership Summit, where we brought together public health, health care and criminal justice experts to share and collaborate on solutions, featuring keynote speaker U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams. Your donation today will help support our 2020 summit in Ohio.
- Mobilize and strengthen local work. In 2018, PHI launched the California Opioid Safety Network (COSN) to bolster proven, community-based approaches to the opioid crisis. Today, COSN is the largest opioid safety network in the country, with over 30 active coalitions serving 85% of California's 30 million people. COSN is also developing leaders in the field by sponsoring the largest AmeriCorps VISTA program dedicated to opioid safety in the U.S. Now, 90% of COSN coalitions are distributing naloxone and 91% are increasing access to medication assisted treatment (MAT). And with your support, they're expanding their reach to bring tools, training and resources to anyone working in opioid safety—in California and beyond.
PHI does this and so much more to ensure that communities are healthy and resilient. This Giving Tuesday, take action today to support our life-saving work. Here's how:
- Donate to PHI on our Facebook post (to have your donation doubled) or directly to PHI.
- Create a Facebook fundraiser for PHI. Visit Facebook.com/fundraisers, click "Select Nonprofit" and search for Public Health Institute. This year, Facebook will match up to $7 million in donations to nonprofits on Facebook.
- Share our Facebook post.
Thanks to partnerships with communities and leaders—including many of you—and the success of pioneering programs like Bridge and COSN, we know what works. Now, more than ever, PHI needs your support. Together, we can invest in what's working and share solutions to turn the tide on the opioid crisis.