Webinar: Lancet Countdown on Public Health and Climate Change
December 07, 2016 | Register here.
The Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change is an international, multidisciplinary research collaboration between academic institutions and practitioners across the world.
Lancet Countdown on Public Health and Climate Change
December 22, 2016 1:15 PM to 2:45 PM EST
Announced at COP 22, the Lancet Countdown is being established to track the relationship between health and climate change. It will actively seek to engage with existing monitoring processes, such as the UN Sustainable Development Goals and World Health Organization's climate and health country profiles. A set of key climate-health indicators will be published each year before the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change's Conference of the Parties. The Lancet Countdown is now conducting a global consultation to review the proposed indicators as explained in the webinar, which is Lancet's U.S. introduction of the initiative.
Lancet wants to hear from you to help make sure that the indicators represent a useful and usable mechanism to complement your own work on health and climate change - researchers, health practitioners, community leaders, policy makers and the general public.
- Hugh Montgomery is a Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, UCL, the Director of the UCL Institute for Human Health and Performance, and Consultant Intensivist at Whittington Hospital. He has extensive experience in the impact of environmental stressors on human health and has a particular interest in the effects of climate change on human health.
- Peter Byass is a Professor of Global Health at the University of Umeå and is the Director of the Umeå Centre for Global Health Research. He has unique expertise in global health, examining the relationships and synergies between sustainable development and climate change with global health.
- Jonathon Patz is director of the Global Health Institute at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. For 15 years Patz served as a lead author for the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (or IPCC). He also co-chaired the health expert panel of the U.S. National Assessment on Climate Change, a report mandated by the U.S. Congress.
- John M. Balbus, M.D., M.P.H., serves as a senior advisor to the Director of the National John Balbus Institute of Environmental Health Sciences on public health issues and as NIEHS' liaison to its external constituencies, stakeholders, and advocacy groups. He also leads NIEHS efforts on climate change and human health.
- The webinar will be moderated by Linda Rudolph, the Director of the Center for Climate Change and Health at the Public Health Institute. Previously, she served as the Deputy Director for the California Department of Public Health's Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Public Health. Linda was the founding chair of the California Health in All Policies Task Force, and of the California Climate Action Team Public Health Work Group.
Join Island Press, the Public Health Institute and the Security and Sustainability Forum for the US introduction of Countdown.