PHI at APHA 2018
October 23, 2018 | Public Health Institute
Headed to APHA in San Diego this year? We'll see you there! To create better health, PHI and its programs focus on building more equitable systems through policy and community change. At this year's APHA meeting, "Creating the Healthiest Nation: Health Equity Now," we hope our 25+ presentations, posters and special events on the social determinants of health and many other topics will challenge you with new ideas, provide information to inform your work and inspire you to connect with new partners.
See all PHI presentations, posters and special events in our digital guide. Browse our calendar of events by thematic area or by presenter. Here are some highlights to look forward to during the conference:
Saturday, November 10
- Global Health Institute for Students, Emerging Professionals and Mid-Career Changers. 9:00am - 12:30pm. The purpose of the Global Health Institute is to assist students, emerging professionals and mid-career changers in honing their leadership and core public health skills to effectively address global health concerns. This presentation will demonstrate the key skills required to thrive in the Global Health realm from an employers’ perspective. Participants will be exposed to firsthand experiences and reflections, and recent relevant research. It will focus on trending career projections over the next 5 years and introduce practical activities to support individuals’ career planning. (1001.0) Register here.
Sunday, November 11
- People.Power.Change!: Immigration, Environmental Racism & Health Equity. 1:00 - 5:00 pm. Join PHI's CA4Health to connect and explore issues impacting San Diego, the border region, and communities across the country through shared learning, dialogue, and action. Topics to include immigration, mental health, environmental racism, health equity and more. Hear from local speakers about pressing San Diego issues, engage with allies to discuss key health equity challenges and opportunities, take collective action in support of health equity initiatives, and network with partners from across the U.S. Register here.
Monday, November 12
- Equity Rising: Envisioning the Future of Health Equity. 10:30am - 12:00pm. Join PHI President and CEO Mary A. Pittman DrPH for a panel discussion on the Healthy People 2020 focus on the “achievement of health equity” and how health equity and disparities indicators are advancing. Pittman will engage in a conversation about the inclusion and future of equity, as a core value given Healthy People 2030, the Equity Summit 2018, the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, the World Bank’s 2030 goals of ending poverty and increasing shared prosperity, and APHA’s 2030 goal of becoming the healthiest nation. (3114) Find out more.
- Driving Global Climate Change Action to Protect Health: Health Sector Leadership, Organizing, and Engagement. 10:30 am - 12:00 pm. This presentation will provide a report out from the Global Climate and Health Forum, an official side event of the Global Climate Action Summit held in September 2018 in San Francisco. It will highlight the growing global movement of health professionals and organizations pushing for climate change action and will drill down on action opportunities for the health sector itself. Linda Rudolph, MD, MPH, the director of PHI's Center for Climate Change will speak about framing health action on climate change and outcomes from the Global Climate and Health Forum. (3128) Find out more.
Wednesday, November 14
- APHA Live Session: Social Media and the Impact on Young People's Health and Wellbeing. 12:30 - 2:00pm. Social media has exploded in public health as an important tool for engaging the public. This session will explore how important communication tools can be used for health education as well as their challenges when misused. This session will be moderated by Carmen Nevarez, MD, MPH, PHI's Vice President of External Relations and Preventive Medicine. (5119) Find out more.