Health Education & Promotion
Health outcomes are tied to individual behavior, and are also shaped by our surrounding environments. In order to improve health and reduce rising health care costs, the Public Health Institute believes we must create equitable environments that support health and promote healthy behaviors. In addition to our services designed to improve health policies and community conditions, we also bring decades of experience in public health education and awareness campaigns.
We offer health promotion services related to agriculture and nutrition, active transportation, climate change, obesity prevention, telehealth and health information technology, sexual and reproductive health, and alcohol, tobacco, and substance use. A leader in the movement to build healthier communities, PHI focuses on community empowerment and community-based solutions, with a specific focus on impacting community health and behavior change among underserved populations. For two decades, PHI staffed the Network for a Healthy California's Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education Program (SNAP-Ed), which created award-winning health promotion campaigns that blanketed California and made measurable improvements in healthier eating behaviors.
Our expertise includes:
- Social marketing and communications: Work with us to communicate with community residents in your health promotion efforts. PHI can help you develop print, audio, video, and digital products, and create strategic campaigns to ensure that messages are heard by your target audiences—both on- and off-line, and across multiple languages.
- Health education program development and management: Our staff bring decades of experience in leading successful health education programs. We are available to develop scalable, successful health promotion programs, or handle overall operations and management needs.
- Training and capacity building: We also offer specialized trainings and technical assistance in creating health promotion campaigns, including "train the trainer" sessions designed for community health workers and promotoras.
- Evaluation: PHI offers ongoing and as-needed evaluation to measure your impacts in health education and promotion, inform program improvement, and bolster success.
HOW CAN WE WORK TOGETHER? SEND US AN EMAIL.
if($service['resources_tools']) : ?>
Resources and Tools
- SNAP-Ed Healthy Food Access and Healthy Food Systems (webinar)
- Retail Fruit & Vegetable Marketing Guide
- Inspiring Youth, Growing Change
- Fruit, Vegetable and Physical Activity: Toolbox for Community Educators
Tomás A. Magaña
Bethany Young Holt
California Adolescent Health Collaborative
California Project LEAN
CAMI Health / The Initiative for Multipurpose Prevention Technologies
Center for International Tobacco Control
Central California Regional Obesity Prevention Program
Champions for Change
Global Youth Coalition on HIV/AIDS (GYCA)
Health Intervention Projects for Underserved Populations
Let Girls Lead
Youth Champions Initiative
Here's How We're Making a Difference
Changing Health Behaviors
The Network for a Healthy California, the innovative nutrition education partnership with PHI and the California Department of Public Health, helped to drive a 92 percent increase in the number of low-income Californians eating recommended levels of fruits and vegetables, which is critical to prevent diet-related illness.
The Network’s work lives on as PHI’s Center for Wellness and Nutrition.
Power Play! Social Media Campaign
The Children’s Power Play! Campaign, a research-proven social marketing campaign by PHI’s Network for a Healthy California (now the Center for Wellness and Nutrition), reached 500,000 low-income California children a year and improved attitudes about eating fruits and vegetables and staying physically active.
if($topics_list) : ?>