Health in All Policies
Health in All Policies (HiAP) is a collaborative approach to improving the health of all people by incorporating health considerations into decision-making across sectors and policy areas. The goal of Health in All Policies is to ensure that all decision-makers are informed about the health consequences of various policy options during the policy development process.
The Public Health Institute's HiAP team has been a leader in implementation of a health in all policies approach, providing technical support for initiatives in local governments and municipalities, at the state level, and in countries outside the U.S.
Our expertise includes:
- Technical assistance and consultations: Through email, phone, and in-person consultations, PHI staff is able to share lessons learned from the California HiAP Task Force and the informal network of HiAP practitioners that are doing this work across the world and also help troubleshoot and think through difficult challenges to implementation.
- Workshops: HiAP staff have developed and conducted a number of interactive, practice-based workshops and trainings with allies from a variety of organizations. Curriculum development is a collaborative process with each host site, in order to tailor the curriculum to their needs, audience, and readiness.
- Presentations and keynote addresses: PHI staff frequently gives presentations at conferences and on webinars and conference calls, roundtable discussions, and similarly formatted forums on the HiAP approach and the California HiAP Task Force case study.
HOW CAN WE WORK TOGETHER? SEND US AN EMAIL.
if($topic['resources_tools']) : ?>
Resources and Tools
- Health in All Policies: A Guide for State and Local Government
- Working Together: Building Health in All Policies Partnerships
- Dialogue4Health Web Forum slides and recording: Talking about Health in All Policies
- Additional information on California’s HiAP Task Force is available here.
- Our Dr. Linda Rudolph explains how Health in All Policies connects to health equity:
Center for Climate Change and Health
Health in All Policies
Here's How We're Making a Difference
Changing the Way Governments Do Business
PHI's HiAP team has built the California Health in All Policies (HiAP) Task force from the ground up, partnering with twenty-two state agencies and working in collaboration with the California Department of Public Health to promote healthy and equitable communities. It is the most extensive HiAP initiative within a state government anywhere in the country. Our Health in All Policies guide has been viewed over 30,000 times, and is used as a primer by local, state, federal and international organizations seeking to institute a HiAP approach where they live.
Training Health Departments To Advance A Health In All Policies Approach
PHI staff have provided tailored Health in All Policies workshops for local health departments across California, including Fresno, Merced, Monterey, Ventura and Tulare, designed to match health departments' community readiness and needs. Topics have included: learning how HiAP promotes health, equity and sustainability; strategies for building cross-sectoral relationships; avenues for embedding health and equity into existing government processes; government mechanisms; and defining health public policy. These workshops often include community members, local government officials, and cross-sectoral partners.if($services_list) : ?>